Veldwerk Uitzendbureau Frequently Asked Questions

Here you will find the answers to frequently asked questions, per topic.

Do you have questions about payment or transport, or are you unsure? Here you will find the answers to frequently asked questions, per topic.

  • How can I register?

    You can register directly via this site. You can also visit one of our offices between 8:30 AM and 5:00 PM. You can make an appointment by calling one of our offices.

  • What do I need to bring for registration?

    Valid proof of identity (passport, identity card, residence document), citizen service number, bank or giro card, health insurance card and a current Curriculum Vitae (C.V.)

  • How do I get to work?

    Preferably you go to work with your own transport. If this is impossible, Veldwerk Uitzendbureau will provide transportation to work.

  • What I am going to earn?

    This depends on your age, experience, the number of hours you will work and the client

    where you are employed. Upon registration you will receive a customized salary calculation.

  • How do I get paid?

    Salary payment takes place exclusively by bank. Veldwerk uses a weekly or 4-weekly payment. Payments take place on Thursday afternoon. Depending on which bank you are with, you will receive the payment on Thursday afternoon or Friday morning.

  • When will I receive a contract?

    After completing phases 1 and 2 (which takes approximately 1 year), you are entitled to a fixed-term contract

  • Can I also work part-time?

    Yes, this is possible. In almost all cases this concerns mornings or a number of days a week.

  • I now have benefits, what should I do?

    As soon as you start working, Veldwerk Uitzendbureau will pass this on to the UWV. You must inform the benefits agency yourself that you have found work and that you want to stop receiving benefits. You can also have your benefit continue temporarily, but then you must report to the UWV which hours you have worked. We can help you complete the worksheet if necessary.

  • What is tax credit?

    A tax credit is a discount on your tax and premium. You may be entitled to different tax credits, depending on your personal situation. You may only apply the tax credit to one employer or benefit agency. With the payroll tax statement you have completed, you indicate whether Veldwerk Uitzendbureau should apply the tax credit.

  • When will I receive my annual statement?

    The annual statements for the year before are available at the beginning of February each year. You need the annual statement with your tax return or request for a tax refund. This can be found online or picked up at the office.

  • What should I do if I am sick?

    If you are ill, you must report your illness to the sick and recovery line before 9 a.m. at the latest: 06 - 83 99 90 37. You should also notify the company where you are currently working or are about to start before 9 a.m. at the latest. Only sick reports via this telephone number will be processed.

  • Is Veldwerk a reliable employment agency?

    Veldwerk Uitzendbureau is a professional employment agency that not only adheres to the law, but also to written and unwritten standards of decency. Veldwerk is NEN 4400-1 certified. This quality mark guarantees the quality and reliability of Veldwerk. This certification is kept in the register of the Labor Standards Foundation ( The certificate can also be found under the documents heading.

Do you have questions?

First take a look at the frequently asked questions. Is your question not listed? Contact 010 - 422 25 33.

Before you know it, we will be talking about all the fun options!

Monday to Friday 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM